Father dies three months ago, sister was POA at the time for…

Customer Question
Father dies three months...

Father dies three months ago, sister was POA at the time for Mother who is also now deceased. Does Fathers will need to be filed with court if everything was left to Mother before Mother's will can be executed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Both wills

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

My sympathies for your family's loss.

A POA expires upon the death of the principal-the person that gave the POA the power to act.

At that point the personal representative (usually appointed in the will) takes over the estate.

In order to ensure proper title and disbursements, the first spouse's estate would need to be probated so the proper disbursements can be made; then the second spouse's estate would be probated, and that estate would include the prior estate's assets.

If there is only personal property (money, no real estate) and the value is less than $64,000 the small estate affidavit procedure can be used instead of a full probate.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=189

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer