Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am currently applying for Florida Medicaid. Does owning a

home, or having a financed...
I am currently applying for Florida Medicaid. Does owning a home, or having a financed vehicle disqualify me for Medicaid? My income qualifies me, due to my medical deductions. I received FL statute S414.31, under assets are too high to receive benefits (food Assistance). I’m still waiting for the Medicaid decision. Should I be worried?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: It’s in Florida. The vehicle is 2017. I purchased it right before my Home was horribly flooded by hurricane Harvey. Then, two months later, I took ownership of the vehicle. Bad timing. Currently my home sits gutted, waiting on Flood Insurance money to put the pieces back together.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: On the flood? Or on the car?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Morgan and Morgan has taken my case against my flood insurance company for inadequate coverage to complete my home. I’ll have to take out a second mortgage to make my home livable. I’m currently staying with my parents.
11/21/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear that your house was destroyed by Irma; hopefully they resolve that issue without delay.

As for medicaid, to qualify based on the income/asset test, the state will exclude exempt assets; exempt assets include one's primary vehicle, as well as up to $552,000 in one's homestead. This means those assets are not counted when determining eligibility.

This explains the medicaid process and what the qualifications are.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Thank you for your answer. I just was determined Ineligible for all Programs due to high Assets. The Assets in my account were the remaining Flood Insurance money from a $6,000 check. It’s gonr now, but I’m waiting on another, much larger, Insurance check. That money’s not mine, and it’s certainly not an Asset! Is there any way, when I apply, to let them know that the funds aren’t mine?

Unfortunately I could not find any regulation that required mandatory exclusion of settlement proceeds; if possible the proceeds can be put in an escrow and then that may help insulate it from including it as an asset but normally once the recipient has access to the funds it is considered an asset until they are spent down per the eligibility rules.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer