Is it illegal to offer a 25% off coupon on copay or

Customer Question
deductible in the state of...
Is it illegal to offer a 25% off coupon on copay or deductible in the state of Nevada for dental services?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/21/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Still researching-thanks!

Thank you for your patience; only a handful of states issue guidance on this topic and NV is not one of them. The participation agreement between the insurance company and the dentist may be considered breached if the contract states the dentist will receive a copay/deductible for certain services. Furthermore if the dentist routinely waives these fees, the insurance company can argue the dentist is acting fraudulently (tort: fraud) due to misstating the true charge-so if a dentist on paper charges $500 for procedure #1, but routinely waives a $250 deductible or copay, the insurer can argue that the true cost of the procedure is $250.

Federal law prohibits such waivers for government subsidy programs such as medicare/medicaid under the Federal False Claims Act but this does not apply to private insurance.

A dentist may submit the following to get an advisory opinion from the board:

http://dental.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/dental.nv.gov/content/Contact/Petition%20Form.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer