Just looking for someone to be honest in their answers....

Customer Question
Just looking for someone...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just questions on regulations....

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

If you post your question here I can see if I can assist you; thank you!

26 U.S.C. Sec. 7701(a)(26)
"The term 'trade or business' includes the performance of the functions of a public office."
Does this mean what I think it means?
Or more precisely......it means ONLY the performance of the functions of a public office. Because includes is limited to the same class of meaning in the definition. Is this true?
This what I found....I just need to confirm if this is correct?
Here is what I found:
This is limited to title 26.
26 USC 7701(c):
“The terms ''includes'' and ''including'' when used in a definition contained in this title shall not be deemed to exclude other things otherwise within the meaning of the term defined.”This is limited to just “this chapter”...
8 USC 3003:
“Section 3003, Rules of Construction
(a) For purposes of this chapter
(1) the terms “includes” and “including” are not limiting;”This is limited to the title 11
11 USC 102:
"Section 102, Rules of Construction
In this title-
(3) "includes” and “including” are not limiting;”You see the limited definition in 7701.....so am I correct in my understanding of what it means?

Sorry for the delay; the site kept showing customer opt out so I was blocked from responding.

When a statute states it includes specific subcategories but does not exclude others, then the legislature is typically placing emphasis on the subcategories included, without excluding non mentioned categories;

here is an IRS advisory on this very subsection:

IRC 7701(a)(26) provides that the term "trade or business" includes the performance of the functions of a public office. The IRC 162 deduction provision is the most well known Code provision that uses the term "trade or business." Accordingly, although the phrase is defined in neither IRC 7701(a)(26) nor IRC 162, there is a tremendous amount of case law on the term "trade or business" under IRC 162. Generally, the interpretation of the phrase is the same, whether the use of the term is for IRC 162, 511-514, or 7701(a)(26) purposes. The Supreme Court suggests that the standard test for the existence of a trade or business for purposes of IRC 162 and IRC 511-514 is whether the activity "was entered into with the dominant hope and intent of realizing a profit." Commissioner v. American Bar Endowment, 477 U.S. 105, 110 n. 1 (1986) (citations omitted). Of course, the phrase "trade or business" connotes something more than an active course of activity engaged in for profit. Indeed, IRC 165(c) distinguishes between a "trade or business" on the one hand and a "transaction entered into for profit" on the other. The trade or business must refer not merely to acts engaged in for profit, but also extensive activity over a substantial period of time during which the taxpayer holds himself out as selling goods or services.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopici92.pdf

So it applies to business in general, which includes a public office which is beyond the scope of what normally constitutes business which is presumably why it is specifically mentioned.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Only one problem......Public office defined in law and in the regulation.....and see it uses "and" meaning.....government cannot be excluded from the definition.If you have any doubt about what constitutes a “Public Office,” Black’s Law
Dictionary (6 th Edition) states it this way: “Essential characteristics of ‘public office’ are:
(a) authority conferred by law, (b) fixed tenure of office, and (c) power to exercise some
portion of sovereign functions of government.... Essential elements to establish a public
position as ‘public office’ are: position must be created by constitution, legislature, or
through authority conferred by legislature, portion of sovereign power of government
must be delegated to position, duties and powers must be defined, directly or impliedly,
by legislature or through legislative authority, duties must be performed independently
without control of superior power other than law, and position must have some
permanency and continuity.”The limitation in the 7701(c)......encloses based upon its definition....does not expand as the definition is limited to other items of the same class and no other can be included......so basically the IRC changed the term "trade or business" to only include the functions of a public office....and no other definition is equal to a public office......So between the regulation and Black’s Law makes it clear, a “trade or business” is a public office of the United States or an officer or employee of the United States in control of a government “public office”. the next question is where can “public offices” exist? and can they exist in any of the 50 compact states of the Union?TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 3 > § 72
§ 72. Public offices; at seat of Government
All offices attached to the seat of government shall be exercised in the District of Columbia, and not elsewhere, except as otherwise expressly provided by law.I can't find any other statute which expands locates a public office outside the District of Columbia......?You can see why I am very concerned. How many people actually realize this.
I looked up your case.....it is based on a 501(c)...which is a organization which is doing business "within the United States" and they do business in the "District of Columbia"...and if you registered as a 501(c) you agreed to be a "public office".....I just can't find what statute allows anyone outside of the District of Columbia other than a Officer, elected official or employee of the government? And 162 does not define terms, it is only if you are a "trade of business" again which means the functions of a "public office" then it gives what deductions you can use once you have agreed to function as a "public office".I am really trying to understand this......I am and trying to be a good Citizen and no longer be ignorant of the law....so many of my friends never bother to read or study anything at all....everyone just keeps doing what everyone says...but no one reads the law themselves......so that is why I am reaching out and trying to learn as much as I can on the law and what it actually says.Here is another example of limited definitions which further alarms me:
TITLE 26 > Subtitle F > CHAPTER 79 > Sec. 7701.
Sec. 7701. - Definitions
(a)(30) United States person
The term ''United States person'' means -
(A) a citizen or resident of the United States,
(B) a domestic partnership,
(C) a domestic corporation,
(D) any estate (other than a foreign estate, within the meaning of paragraph (31)), and
(E) any trust if -
(i) a court within the United States is able to exercise primary supervision over the administration of the trust, and
(ii) one or more United States persons have the authority to control all substantial decisions of the trust.The term “United States” as used in “U.S. person” above is defined in 26 U.S.C. §7701(a)(9) and (a)(10) as follows:
TITLE 26 > Subtitle F > CHAPTER 79 > Sec. 7701. [Internal Revenue Code]
Sec. 7701. - Definitions
(a) When used in this title, where not otherwise distinctly expressed or manifestly incompatible with the intent thereof—
(9) United States
The term ''United States'' when used in a geographical sense includes only the States and the District of Columbia.
(10) State
The term ''State'' shall be construed to include the District of Columbia, where such construction is necessary to carry out provisions of this title.
TITLE 4 - FLAG AND SEAL, SEAT OF GOVERNMENT, AND THE STATES
CHAPTER 4 - THE STATES
Sec. 110. Same; definitions
(d) The term ''State'' includes any Territory or possession of the United States.I saw this in pursuant to the rules for statutory construction, if the 50 states of the Union are not mentioned anywhere in Subtitle A of the Internal Revenue Code and are not included in the definition of “United States” above, they can be safely assumed to be EXCLUDED by implication:
“Expressio unius est exclusio alterius. A maxim of statutory interpretation meaning that the expression of one thing is the exclusion of another. Burgin v. Forbes, 293 Ky. 456, 169 S.W.2d 321, 325; Newblock v. Bowles, 170 Okl. 487, 40 P.2d 1097, 1100. Mention of one thing implies exclusion of another. When certain persons or things are specified in a law, contract, or will, an intention to exclude all others from its operation may be inferred. Under this maxim, if statute specifies one exception to a general rule or assumes to specify the effects of a certain provision, other exceptions or effects are excluded.”
[Black’s Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, p. 581]Here is another example:
TITLE 26 > Subtitle F > CHAPTER 79 > § 7701
§ 7701. Definitions
(a) Definitions
(31) Foreign estate or trust
(A) Foreign estate
The term “foreign estate” means an estate the income of which, from sources without the United States which is not effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business within the United States, is not includible in gross income under subtitle A.They use "without the United States" meaning in the 50 compact states of the Union..."outside of the United States" another country. There is that "trade or business" again "public office"....and it also uses the limited definition for "United States" again.....I find the "trade of business" term used everywhere with the "within the United States" terms also....which if I am not mistaken...means only if you are effectively connected with a "trade of business" "within the United States" then these regulations apply to you.Is this a wrong assumption...from reading the statutes?Because I heard it somewhere, that if statute is vague or ambiguous then it can't be followed.You can see why I am a pretty concerned. Technically a kid could understand this stuff......if these definitions are correct and they are not vague or ambiguous, can a Citizen rely on them to be true and mean what they say?
As I showed before if they wanted the "includes" to be unlimited, they would have defined it that way as I showed.....which means Congress wanted the terms in Title 26 limited to exactly what they are defined as and what is contained in them.Another example gas imports and regulation...Congress has total regulatory authority where ever gas is used so look at how "United States" is defined 26 USC 4612 and it only applies to Subtitle D, Chapter 38 only:TITLE 26 > Subtitle D > CHAPTER 38 > Section 4612
SECTION 4612 - Definitions and special rules
(a)
Definitions
For purposes of this subchapter —
(1)
Crude oil
The term “crude oil” includes crude oil
condensates and natural gasoline.
(2)
Domestic crude oil
The term “domestic crude oil” means any crude oil
produced from a well located in the United States.
(3)
Petroleum product
The term “petroleum product” includes crude oil.
(4)
United States
(A)
In general
The term “United States” means the 50
States, the District of Columbia, the
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, any possession of
the United States, the Commonwealth of the
Northern Mariana Islands, and the Trust
Territory of the Pacific Islands.
(B)
United States includes continental shelf
areas
The principles of section 638 shall apply
for purposes of the term “United States
(C)
United States includes foreign trade zones
The term “United States” includes any
foreign trade zone of the United States .You see if they want to include the "50 states" Congress will and does.....and "states of the Union" are always "state", "State" always means Territories or Possessions of the United State.Now you know why I am asking all of these questions.......please tell me if I reading these wrong?
I mean in state statutes.......in California...it shows "state" to mean the California republic....when they reference "State" it is used to mean the "District of Columbia" or Territories or Possessions of the United States.
One correction "trade of business" is defined in 7701(a)(26)? It specifically defines in there to be used for the whole Title 26.
On defined terms which say "Chapter" are only for that Chapter.
But 7701(a)(26) says for all of Title 26.
Please let me know if I got it wrong some how?The statutes pretty much connect together properly. I read the Brushuber U.S. Supreme Court decision......it makes sense now.....he was a Citizen of New York, the Court treated him as a Non-resident Alien in relation to Title 26, it also stated the 16th Amendment did not grant any new taxing power to Congress it still only applied to an excise tax on privileges based on the Corporate Excise Tax Act of 1909...that is why its does not require apportionment among the states, Direct Taxes still require Apportionment meaning all 50 state of the Union direct taxes must be by apportionment still. All it did was allow Congress to tax into the states of the Union if "United States" corporations, public offices were not in the District of Columbia, so it allowed the government to tax its own public offices and any Corporation which does business in the District of Columbia or who makes money from "within the United States" corporation "District of Columbia". Brushuber was a non-resident alien, but he received Stock Dividends Profits from a Railroad Corporation which was incorporated in Utah before Utah became a state of the Union....so being a Territory all Corporations were United States corporations organized and created by the United States, whoever the United States creates they can tax, so anyone who "conducts 'trade or business" within the United States" a corporation of the United States would be "within the United States"...and any money made from that business is taxable. So even though whatever Brushuber was doing to make a living in the New York state of the Union, that was not taxable, but because he had Stock in a "United States" corporation, which was created by the United States, and because the 16th Amendment now allows Congress to collect a excise tax at source, they can tax that source income within the states of the Union if its their "Public office" or Corporations. If Brushuber is right......all Citizens in the states of the Union are all Non-resident aliens in relation to the District of Columbia, and are Citizens of their respective states. At least this is what I am getting from the Brushuber U.S. Supreme Court decision.Am I going nuts here or am I reading it right?
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry; this requires more legislative analysis and case law research than I am able to provide based on your response with additional authorities. It looks like you may want to hire an attorney to prepare a legal brief that analyzes this in detail. This will cite all relevant case law, statutes, the progression/analysis of how the court's reasoning has changed over time, etc.

It will also address other jurisdictions and how they deciphered the issue.

Legal briefs take many hours -depending on the complexity- to prepare; but when you cross analyze various statutes and case law, those tend to be very detailed treatises so it would be best to hire a research attorney to assist with that.

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

(no additional charges are incurred).

Thank you and take care.