My husband and i were served a pattern interrogatories this…

Customer Question
My husband and i...

My husband and i were served a pattern interrogatories this afternoon. we have been trying to work with the lawyer serving us and have even made a few thousand dollar payment to them to help pay our debt. they want our debt paid off in a year and we can't afford those payments. they don't answer our questions via email and won't call us to discuss. now they want all of our private information. is there any way around providing thsi information? we have cooperated short of their financial demands we cant make.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm not sure what "anything' means

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you owe the debt and now they are seeking debtor interrogatories, they are seeking information on all of your assets so they can seek to go after those assets and seize them or levy your bank accounts.

Other than cooperating with them, your only other option is to consider bankruptcy if you qualify and that would stop this attorney from doing anything further since as soon as you file bankruptcy there is an automatic stay on all proceedings and you can ask the court to discharge that and all of your other debts as part of the bankruptcy.

Their attorney does not represent you, so that is why he is not calling you back or answering your questions, he can only discuss settlement offers with you not answer your questions about the matter.

So, if you qualify, bankruptcy may be the best option for you to try to discharge this debt and all of your other unsecured debts and get some breathing room and a fresh start.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

do they not have an obligation to talk to us about the payments we have made? i don't understand how we owed $5k, paid just over $2k and our balance is still showing at $5k. we have been trying to talk to them about payment plans, but we can't afford $400+ a month and they won't accept anything but a 12 month pay off as a payment plan. now they want to know information about my life that i don't know, and i don't have time to dig up the other half of information as we are working OT to keep up on current bills and have children to manage.

Thank you for your reply.

They really do not have any obligation to talk to you at all. You can send a written request for an itemized balance of amount due from them so you know what you need to pay off. They do not need to take a payment plan, that is purely up to them (silly of them not to, because if you file bankruptcy, they will likely get nothing at all).