I need advise. I am very ashamed but need to face this. I…

Customer Question
I need advise....

I need advise. I am very ashamed but need to face this. I work at a concrete company. I found a credit card that was left by a customer on the counter at work. I took the credit card. I did use it at 3 diffrent places spending a total of $1000. My job I believe has me on camera taking the card. I am currently on probation. Im scared and dont know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ks

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Im not sure. I know my job knows. I didnt go into work today because im afraid of being arrested. I know the customer is in contact w my job. I just dont what to do. What usually takes place when this happens. Ive never had a cresit card case. I have no felonies

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just need to know what to do and not to do. I appreciate this so much

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Although it is up to the DA's office to make the final determination, this may be an issue of theft and fraud that they may charge you with. This may likely lead to a revocation of your probation as well. Also, generally, fraud and theft carry penalties of a felony punishable by up to 9 months in prison and up to $100,00 in fines if the value was at least $1,000 but less than $25,000.

However,r as you know, it is up to the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were responsible for doing this and that you had the intent to steal and defraud the credit card holder. My recommendation would be to not say anything until you're appointed an attorney.

What other questions did you have for me?

what happens next? Work wants me to come in... Im afraid im gonna be arrested. Do the cops come find me... Detectives? What should I expect? And how long

Good question. It's not easy to predict exactly what's going to happen next because it depends on whether the police are even aware of this situation. If your job wants you to come in, then it is possible that they may have the police waiting for you, so be sure to scope out the building ahead of time to make sure that no cops are waiting. You're not going to be evading the law in that case. You're just not going to make it easy for them to catch you. Regardless, if the police are there, they may either arrest you on the spot or they may decide to come to your home or somewhere else they believe you are and arrest you.

As far as how long it may take if the police aren't there, that's hard to tell. The police keep their investigations a secret, but usually each day that passes typically lessens the chance that you are going to end up behind bars.

Ok, now if I would get arrested would I have a bond? And is there anything I can do to reverse the situation.. Or make it right? Im on probation in Sumner county. This would all be in Sedgwick county. Will it affect my probation in a diffrent county
will I get jail time on the first offence? Should I get an attorney? Will it even help. I have no felonies

Because of the relatively low amount involved, it is possible that you'll be issued a bond. If the cardholder finds out and simply wants to settle this issue with you, then you'll have a lesser risk of having this referred to the police, but keep in mind that anyone can refer it to the police if they believe theft or fraud occurred. If you're on probation in a different county it won't matter. Many times, for a first offense, you won't receive jail time; however, it's entirely up to the discretion of the judge, unfortunately. Again, because of the relatively small amount, it is likely that jail time is not in the cards. You may receive jail time if it's considered a probation violation, but that depends on the term of your violation. If you haven't committed a felony in the past, then that may be mitigating as well.

Ok, as things go day by day can I continue to come to u for advise? Should I hire an attorney? And do these things ever just go away? Swept under the rug. And should I contact the card owner and offer to pay her back and apologize? Or should I wait? Should I admit guilt?

Hi, yes, you can come back and continue to ask questions, even after you rate. Until you're charged with a crime, I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to hire an attorney. Sometimes, these things do get swept under the rug depending on how much harm was caused. If the card holder disputes these charges, but doesn't want to take it further, then it is probable that you won't have anything to worry about. Your employer may also terminate you as a result, but that doesn't mean they'll call the police. Don't admit guilt to anything at all unless you feel compelled to do so. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Did you have any other questions for me?