My mother got a ticket in Mojave,CA she live in the city of…

Hello, My mother got...

Hello, My mother got a ticket in Mojave,CA she live in the city of Los Angeles,CA. She was on a religious trip up north. Her license was expired and she was stopped because she was driving over the speed limit even though she was driving with the flow of traffic. According to ticket clinic she has until December to try to figure out a way to halt the warrant out for her arrest. what can we do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

As far as we know the warrant won't be issued until December at least thats what the Ticketclinic explained to us. The State of California. The ticket was given in the city of Mojave & she lives in the city of Los Angeles

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

On her behalf? Not that I know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person she was with that was in the car with her when the ticket was given was a cousin of mine & he couldn't drive because he has a suspended license.

11/20/2017
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Did your mother fail to show up in court on the charge? Was there no court date on the ticket?

she did because she had no method to get up there. The day she was driving she had a borrowed car from my aunt who was out of town.

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to type you an answer.

Driving on a suspended license is not a traffic infraction in California. It is a misdemeanor and can result in jail penalties -- though it usually doesn't -- and a criminal conviction on your mother's record.

Typically a warrant would issue immediately when a defendant misses a criminal court date. Your mother should call the court where she is supposed to appear and find our if that warrant has already been ordered or if they gave her a new date.

From there. . .

Warrants are always bad news situations, so please do not shoot the messenger.

There is only one way to deal with a warrant and that's to appear before the judge that issued it and have him lift it. However, it's a bad idea to do return to court without a lawyer to pave the way for your safe return, because otherwise the judge could incarcerate your mother.

A lawyer could get the warrant quashed and a summons issued so your mother would have a new court date set. And he can be there with her when she shows up on that date, so that she would be at much less risk of an arrest when she comes into court. He can also first contact the prosecutor and work out a disposition so that she can resolve the case without having to come back multiple times.

If she does nothing, this case won't go away. Though it's unlikely that the state will actually send someone to arrest her, a criminal court warrant can harm her personally and professionally.

Thank you so much for you help. I appreciate it.

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as 3 stars or better is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney