I live in North Dakota. I'm having a dispute with my general…

Customer Question
I live in North...

I live in North Dakota. I'm having a dispute with my general contractor and am refusing to pay for poorly performed work. He is threatening a lien against my property. What does this mean? How does this effect my property? Can I be forced to sell my property? Does this give him the right to seize my property for payment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet. Just threats at this point...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've provided a long list of issues with the work. He is offering to rectify the issues but because they've done such a poor job and things have gotten so contentious, I don't want them back in my house. Does the law force me to allow them the opportunity to rectify the issues?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Basically if they file a lien on your property they are claiming you owe them a debt for work and they are encumbering your house title so it couldn't be sold or borrow money against it without paying the lien. They then could begin a lawsuit to foreclose on the lien to force a sale of the house to get their money..

.

As for allowing them to fix things, there is no statue under ND law that requires it, but under common law, a contractor has a "right to cure" which gives them one more shot at fixing what is wrong before you could declare them in breach of contract and then sue them for whatever it costs to have someone else come in and fix the problems properly..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much