I am 73 and my wife 64 We have been insured with a term ins…

Customer Question
I am 73 and...

I am 73 and my wife 64 We have been insured with a term ins for $100000. We have had this policy for 20 yrs and were paying $256.14 per month.We received a notice two days ago that the premiers will as of two weeks by $724.50 per month. We have not had any major health problems.Is this legal and what can we do?Thanks Ed

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2017
Lawyer: David Fitch, Attorney replied 7 months ago
David Fitch
David Fitch, Attorney

Good Morning,

Given your facts, sounds very likely that you had a 20 year "level term" policy.

Insurance industry has a variety of types of term products that are differentiated primarily by the length of time that the established premium iss in effect. At the end of the term, 20 years in your case, the company offers renewal of coverage based on the ages of the insured at the time of renewal.

I know that is not what you were hoping for but I would suggest you look at the contract and see what it says about renewals.

If this doesn't answer your question, please give me more details. If it does, I would appreciate a rating above 3.

David Fitch