My wife and I traveled to Italy in April of this year. We…

Customer Question
Hi, My wife...

Hi, My wife and I traveled to Italy in April of this year. We rented a car and drove from the north to the south. It was a great trip. We always paid for our parking and got no traffic citations while we were there. Suddenly last week out of the blue I got a letter from a municipality that we were driving in a limited traffic zone and the fine is over 80 Euros. Apparently this was captured by camera and I was unaware of it. I did not hit anybody or cause any damage. I was not speeding. This seems unfair since we were not cited by an officer. We are tourists bringing business to them and then they fine us excessively with hidden cameras. What is the best way to handle this matter? Do I have any power to fight it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This was in Carrera, Italy. I think province of Tuscany.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No they just want mondy money

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to get a legal opinion in case I get more notices like this. This all makes me very uneasy.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 5 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
You have 2 choices. Pay the fine or contest using local counsel. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I think it would be too expensive to contest the fine (it is less than 100 Euros). I am not sure how to pay the fine unless they have a web site for that. I will check. I don't think it is a scam. I probably will not rent a car in Italy again. It is simply too risky. They will lose my business. I think I would lose in court since I did sign with the car rental company that I would be responsible for any traffic violations. They have set up automated fines to harvest revenue from tourists who unknowingly make mistakes.
Practically not likely to be enforced but should be paid on being notified by government agency of violation, and fine.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
Thanks in advance.
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney