My fiancé is an F1 Student. He was misinformed about

Customer Question
My fiancé is an F1...
My fiancé is an F1 Student. He was misinformed about permission to work and has been working as an employee and subcontractor for approximately 1 year. He has worked and paid taxes previously. Will this affect our ability to get a marriage visa or green card? Also, he was working for my business for 6 months. I just found out that I could be in trouble, too. Help!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Unauthorized employment while on an F1 can actually have some serious repercussions. If the violation is determined by US immigration authorities to be serious enough, then his F1 visa could end up being revoked, and he would have to re-apply for reinstatement of his status.

If the violation is minor, ie. not many hours have been worked, or the work was campus related, then he could be fine and potentially not face any penalties.

What is your immigration status? If you are a US citizen or permanent resident, then once you and your fiance are married, you can petition for his residency, by-passing his need for the F1 altogether.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!