I just was made aware of a warrant I have in California from…

Customer Question
I just was made...

I just was made aware of a warrant I have in California from 1985. I applied for a passport and was denied on this basis. I live in Minnesota. What is the best way to handle this. Can I somehow resolve it without having to travel to California?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

See above info

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't understand? It's an outstanding warrant for a felony committed in 1985.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What is the best way to handle this. Can I somehow resolve it without having to travel to California?

.

There is realistically no way to handle this without returning to CA because even if you were to hire a local CA criminal defense attorney to approach the court and talk them into recalling the warrant and converting it to a summons, you would still have to appear for the summons and address the charge.

./

But if the attorney could get the warrant recalled, you would at least be able to appear in court without fear of being arrested..

.

If the warrant is in the NCIS system, then you definitely want to take care of it because if you were stopped by law enforcement, they would have to arrest you and detain you in jail until CA decided whether they wanted to extradite because a fugitive warrant never expires..

.

.

thanks

are we able to contact the California public defender's office and retain an attorney before traveling to California? Otherwise, is there an attorney you could refer us to there. The warrrant is from Los Angeles.

The PD office doesn't work that way.. They have to be appointed by a judge to represent someone after they have been taken into custody.. So you could contact them to see if maybe they were appointed long ago in 1985 and still have the case file, but they have likely already been released if they were appointed so would have to go through it again..

.

What I would suggest is to contact the LA Public Defender's office and explain the situation and ask if they could either file a motion to be appointed (I wouldn't hold my breath) or to refer you to a low cost attorney who could assist. They would have a much better idea of who to point you to locally than I would and even if I did know someone, I am not allowed to refer customers to specific attorneys under my agreement with JA.

.

.

thanks

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much