My sister in law is married to an American dude in West who…

Customer Question
My sister in law is...
My sister in law is married to an American dude in West Virginia who seems to trying to keep her immigration status in a precarious state by not getting her a green card despite them having two kids here in the US together - 6 and 1 yo.We want to k ow if there are steps she can take or that we can help her take so that she is not just having repeat renewals of visitor visa which seems to leave her more under the thumb of a possibly controlling dude - including not being able to get medical insurance etc among other things...Thanks!!
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If she has been married to him and in the US for more than 2 years, your sister in law needs to actually go to a local immigration attorney on her own, since her husband cannot continue to refuse to get her status updated. If she files to have her status made permanent (green card) and her husband continues to refuse to comply, then she can still seek to get her status changed to permanent resident and it would require a local immigration attorney representing her.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney