When I am being sued in Civil Court over a credit card, and…

Customer Question
When I am being...

When I am being sued in Civil Court over a credit card, and the reason I ran up the credit card was due to psychiatric disorder - with accompanying letter form psychairist. I could find no free legal representation in my county. I saw something on the Internet that if the original complaint was not worded correctly, it could be dismissed. And I don't think this is. It's Citibank but I can't remember how it's suppossed to be worded when a bank give a lawfirm the power to represent them. Can u help?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia, Lumpkin county

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No, it's a entire bank. I tried to pay what I could, but I live on $929 SSDI and my mortgage takes up half that. When I payed what I could, they reported me negatively anyway, so I quit paying. It was a strain as it was.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There isn't any specific language that needs to be in the Complaint that says they've hired a law firm to represent them. At the end of the document, the signature line will say that an attorney from XYZ firm submitting the documents on behalf of the party. It's usually something like: Respectfully Submitted

SIGNATURE

Printed name,

Attorney for Plaintiff

Address of firm

Phone number

Bar Number.

A person's reasons for running up a debt are unfortunately not relevant, and it's not a defense that you had a medical/mental condition. SSDI cannot be taken to pay a judgment. The first $21,500 of equity in your home is protected, but if you have more than that, they can put a lien on your home. You may want to look into filing for bankruptcy to see if you can have the debt discharged. Filing will automatically stay the lawsuit against you temporarily.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?