My wife is on a 72 hour hold at a hospital in Columbus ohio,

My wife is on...

My wife is on a 72 hour hold at a hospital in Columbus ohio, she is not a danger to herself or others, what type of lawyer do I call?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No to my knowledge, they escorted me out

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How do I get her out!! Thanks. What is the total cost?

11/20/2017
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You would want a mental health lawyer who understands your state's involuntary commitment laws. At the end of 72-hours, once they have evaluated your wife, they can release her if they feel she's not a danger to herself or others. If however, they feel she is, they are going to want to commit her and treat her long term. She'd be entitled to a hearing and to have representation at that hearing to contradict the psychiatrists' report and try to get her out.

How do I get her out?
She was not a danger to herself or anybody else
What type of lawyer should I contact?

The state has the right to involuntarily commit someone for psychiatric evaluation when they have reason to believe that someone is a danger to themselves or others. If they determine that earlier than the 72 hours, they will release her before the time is up. However they can take the time they need to evaluate her.

I'm not saying that she is a danger to herself or others. Someone set that in motion, however, and the state for whatever reason feels it may be justifiable enough to want her evaluated. They can hold her for the evaluation.

You need a mental health lawyer. He may be able to get her out.

All I can find is healthcare lawyers, is that the same as a mental health lawyer?

They may do some of this law, but it's specialized. Contact the Ohio State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. Just tell them there that your wife is subject to an involuntary 72 hour hold at Columbus Hospital and you need a lawyer who understands the Civil commitment laws to help you get her out.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=OH

Thanks

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney