Can I adopt my 28 year old Goddaughter for inheritance

Can I adopt my...

Can I adopt my 28 year old Goddaughter for inheritance purposes? I have documentation from a minister, if that helps.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Virginia. She lives in New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Before we go any further, are they going to ask for my name, address, goddaughters name and address and any other personal questions??

11/19/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. According to a trusted source, 'Virginia does allow for adult adoptions by strangers or non-relatives, for good cause shown, as long as the adult adoptee is at least 15 years younger than the adopting party. In all adult adoptions, the Virginia law requires that the parties have known each other for at least one year." Thus, if you are not related, and she is 15 years younger than you, and you have known her for one year, then you can adopt her. What other questions did you have for me?

Just one more. I live in VA, but I also have an apartment in NY that I have had for over 40 years. I claim NY on my taxes. Does that have any relevance? My Goddaughter lives and pays taxes in NY.

Understood. If that is the case, then you may have to go through NY law. New York permits adult adoption between any consenting adults. There is no age limit or other restrictions. To adopt an adult in New York, the parent must submit an application to adopt. Upon receiving the application, the state of New York will perform a criminal background check on the applicant and other residents in the home. If you click here, you can get started with some forms that are available for adult adoption in NY. Did you have any other questions for me?

By parent, do you mean her parents or me?

I'm sorry. Yes, I mean you. Because you will be adopting the person, you'd be the parent:-). Did you have any other questions for me?

As Columba always said. "Just one more thing" I will look over the documents I need to fill out. I think I am going to file dual residence with VA being primary. When I do that, do I need a lawyer to do that or where do I go to handle this. And I think when you answer this question, I'll be finished.
Oops, Columbo

Haha. That's funny. You won't need a lawyer to do any of this at all and I would probably not recommend it because it would probably be too expensive. If you download those forms and pay the necessary court fees ,you'll be in good shape and save some $. Did you have any other questions for me?

No, Thank you very much for your help. Have a good evening.

The pleasure is all mine! There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Okay, Done. And I also signed up for membership and will tell my relatives and friends.

Oh thanks so much! Best of luck!