19 years ago my son got mad at me and tried to grab me. His…

Customer Question
19 years ago my son...
19 years ago my son got mad at me and tried to grab me. His girlfriend interceded. He was arrested, but I never filed charges because I understood why he was mad. Now, he was released from 9 years in prison 2 weeks ago and is in a correctional facility and I want to visit him. They say I can't visit him because I was the victim of that 19-year old crime. Is this for real? This is a county facility. My son was shifted around to 4 different prisons within the State of Ohio over 9 years and I always had visitation rights. You mean a county facility has more leverage than a State institution?? I'm desperate. I've never seen a justice system as corrupt as this one in Lorain County, Ohio. I have noone to help me. Please.Paula Leonard
Sheffield Lake, Ohio(###) ###-####
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/19/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

No, you are not legally prohibited from seeing your son.

The only reason you'd be prohibited from visiting him would be if there was an active protective order against him, in your name.

You should double check that there's not an old injunction that's still active in the county where he's now been moved to.

Is he in prison because of the incident in which you were the victim? If so, then it's quite possible that there's still a stay away order active in that case that's triggering this current issue.

If not, and there's no active order on record anywhere, then you need to request to speak with the warden to get this worked out.

If the warden is not helpful in getting this fixed, then you may want to look into hiring an attorney to bring this matter before a local judge, and to get an order issued from the judge instructing the jail to allow visitation with you.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones