Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Aloha i have a concern regarding a situation involving

somebody i dated but no...
Aloha i have a concern regarding a situation involving somebody i dated but no longer do
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hawaii
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No but i recieved a borrower note threatening me to sign or criminal charges will be filed the letter says
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is claiming i committed theft through deception
11/19/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How should i proceed? He is threating criminal charges and claiming that through him gifting me coffee and such that i owe him money because i was talking to my former partners

So, if I understand you correctly, this person is claiming because they gave you gifts that you owe them money. And they're basing this on the fact that you were talking to former lovers. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Correct

You don't owe this individual anything. What they are doing is a form of harassment. You may want to consider going to your local county courthouse and filing a restraining order. You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter to that individual advising that a court may issue a restraining order and if they violate it, they could end up in jail or with a fine.. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I was paying him 200 a month as well
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
This is harassment?

Ok, so did you borrow money from him or something? I'm a little confused about what happened.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No i did not, he is trying to say because in his opinion i played his heart now i owe him money

Understood. If that is the case, then yes, this is harassment. if you click here, you can learn about the restraining order process for your state. What other question did you have for me?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you for your advice

The pleasure is all mine! There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer