Can someone sue you in New York for no reason? Montauk, New…

Customer Question
Can someone sue you...

Can someone sue you in New York for no reason?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Montauk, New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm building a summer home and had a dispute with a crazy neighbor over placement of a mailbox. The argument got heated and I called him an asshole and a prick. He has threatened my wife with sueing us and now my wife is scared.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Still there?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/19/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: Um, well, tell your wife not to be scared b/c calling someone an a**hole or a pr***, while not particularly nice (even if they deserved it, and lets face it, some people probably do) is NOT the basis of a lawsuit! Also, a lawsuit can only be brought in a certain number of places... if the house is in NY, then if he had a basis to sue (which at the moment he does not appear to) he could sue in NY. Otherwise, rest assured he cannot just pick a state to sue in! I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be very happy to answer them as well - so definitely ask. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. In any case, I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you have. There may be some lag since I may not be logged in but I will always come back to answer any follow up questions you have.

just to clarify, people can't sue you for no reason?

People CAN sue you for no reason, they just can't win. You would have to sue for SOME reason - meaning you'd have to assert SOME claim just to get into court - but you haven't described anything that would serve as a basis for a lawsuit.

Hi. All I got was a question mark.
Did you not get my response?
Basically, I wrote that IF someone sued you for no reason they couldn’t win!
sane people do not sue for no reason - especially b/c it costs money to sue someone.
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago

Hi. Wanted to check back with you to see if you had all the information you needed...