Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a pastor in TN and a member of my congregation told me

hi JA: Hello. How can I...
hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am a pastor in TN and a member of my congregation told me that her husband had confessed to her that he viewed child porn in college 13 years ago and she wanted to know if her husband could go to jail.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I am just her pastor.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all
11/19/2017
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. The answer is no as long as it was 13 years ago that it was last viewed by her husband. Viewing child pornography is a Class D felony, unless there are 50 or more images viewed, in which case, it can be bumped up to a Class C. A Class C or D felony charge must be brought within 4 years of the date of the offense...i.e., the date the person last viewed the material.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Isn't this a Federal crime? There are no statutes on the Federal level, corrct?

As long as he wasn't distributing, the Fed. statute of limitations would be 5 years; if distributing, then 10 years, but he's outside of both of those.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Attorney