Mr marries a Mrs and decide to keep a dual last name. My…

Customer Question
Mr Smith marries a...

Mr Smith marries a Mrs Jones and decide to keep a dual last name

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My State is Georgia : my question is when sending them a Christmas card is it addressed Mr & Mrs Smith or Mr & Mrs Smith-Jones? seconmdly

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

When filing income tax what name is used?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/19/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If they are going by the name "Smith-Jones", then the cards should be addressed as the couple prefers, "Mr and Mrs. ____________ Smith-Jones"

Likewise, they would each need to file an SS-5 form to change the name on the social security card. The marriage evidence would be submitted with the form to change the names (each spouse would need to file).

Once that is filed, they can file taxes as Smith-Jones.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.