I was leaving my house and a see flashing light i was pulled…

Customer Question
I was leaving my...

I was leaving my house and a see flashing light i was pulled over for running a stop light my question is can he pull me over in our subdivision and is there any defense eto beating this citation

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Woodstock Ga.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No it just happened tonight

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/19/2017
Lawyer: Amber E., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Amber E.
Amber E., Attorney

Unfortunately, yes, where there is a stop light or stop sign or other similar traffic signals, violation of that signal is a traffic offense for which one can be pulled over and ticketed, even in a subdivision. In fact, these stops frequently occur in subdivisions due to there usually being a higher concentration of families and children on or near the roads. There is an almost heightened sense of the necessity for safety.

Defenses to traffic tickets are very fact specific, meaning it will depend on the circumstances. However, most commonly, these citations can be beaten when there is evidence of a signal malfunction or something blocking the view of it. Or any other reasonable explanation as to why a prudent driver would not have stopped.

is it worth it to fight or pay the citation
can you answer the question
are you there

That is a decision only you will be able to make based on the facts and circumstances as you recall them. Without having that information, it would be impossible for me to say which you should do. Ordinarily, though, it isn't usually beneficial to go to trial without a defense. One can speak with the prosecutor about lowering the charge, perhaps he or she will drop it entirely.

I was leaving and I was approaching a stop sign and stopped or so I thought and saw the lights and pulled over to receive a citation what facts do you need
Can you answer the question or not

It may be that you did stop, if the officer had a dash camera you would know for sure. So if you are undecided, you can always ask for the videotape.

I need an answer before we proceed $59 dollars is a third of the ticket don't want to pay and also pay for citation as well

Facts to consider would include, whether there was anything blocking the sign, whether there was adequate lighting, where you stopped versus where the officer says you stopped, whether where you stopped was sufficient, how long you stopped (e.g. was it a rolling stop or not). One problem is that you said "or so I thought," which suggests that you may not recall what happened, and in cases where you don't remember the officer's story will fill in the blanks and not necessarily in your favor. So again, you have to consider all of these factors and then decide whether it is worth it, because while it may not be worth it to you it may be to someone else, that is a very individual call.

just refund my 5.00 and I will proceed in a different direction it is clear to me i'm getting nowhere with this conversation and that is not the direction I want to move forward with
Do you know Georgia traffic laws and have you defended any people or not in Georgia