Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am wanting to know if it is illegal for a business located

Customer Question
Hi, I am wanting...
Hi, I am wanting to know if it is illegal for a business located in a strip mall area, sharing parking with other businesses, to have your vehicle towed from a parking spot they designate as belonging to their business AFTER the business is closed, for having parked their because of a business next door having their own parking lot full? I live in Illinois....the businesses are located in East Peoria, IL.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Illilnois....and the car is 8 years old and being driven....fully operational. It is only being parked their to do business at another business next door.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The place of business that is denying access to "their" parking spaces have signs up stating any vehicle parked in the parking lot in "their" spaces will be towed at owners expense, but no info on the towing company OR a telephone number to call in the event the vehicle is towed.
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Legal
11/19/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 23 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Response 1: Unfortunately, this is legal. Even if the business is closed at that time, the parking restriction is still in full force and effect.

The place of business that is denying access to "their" parking spaces have signs up stating any vehicle parked in the parking lot in "their" spaces will be towed at owners expense, but no info on the towing company OR a telephone number to call in the event the vehicle is towed.

Response 2: If a vehicle is towed, the local Police is notified. So, if your vehicle is missing, the first place to contact is the local Police Station. There is no law that requires that the owner of the parking lot list the name and phone number of the towing company to be used for the towing.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law