Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Almost two years ago I was hit by an southeastern trucking…

Almost two years ago...

Almost two years ago I was hit by an southeastern trucking employee and I have been trying to obtain a lawyer to help me sue him/them. But I can't get anyone to represent me because I have been having anxiety attacks from PTSD obtain from the accident....what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

I was driving a U-haul truck pulling a trailer with my personal vehicle on it....

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes it was reported and filed with the Alabama state troopers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a police report and the trucking company has a adjudicator who said that his client with pay for my medicare treatment reimbursement and pay me $1000 dollars for my injury

11/19/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like a classic case of negligence. Negligence simply means that there was a duty that the other party owed and they breached that duty in some way. What is most important is that it is proven that the defendant breached their duty of care because that is what mostly determines whether there is a cause of action. Basically, the question is, “Did the defendant’s actions fall below the standard of care for a reasonable person in a similar situation?” If the answer to that question is yes, then there is negligence and you are entitled to damages. Damages can be difficult to calculate, but if you click here you can use a calculator help you understand. If you have been suffering from PTSD as a result, then it is possible that you may be able to recover something for that as well.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people.

What other questions did you have for me?

If the accident took place on interstate highway between Georgia and Alabama lines...do I need to obtain an attorney out there or can I get one in my hometown in NC?

Good question. Jurisdiction is going to be proper in the place where the cause of action occurred or where the defendant does the majority of their business. Thus, you'll need to find one in GA if that's where the cause of action occurred. The reason is because if it needs to go to a jury, a GA jury will be the ones that would be best qualified to make a judgment. Here is the link for the Georgia LRS click here.

I am a retired veteran and I am on a set monthly retirement so I dont have a lot of money...so would I be able to file and represent myself in this case?

Oh yes, of course. Many people do represent themselves in situations like these. I'm sorry that you're having to go through this, but one bright side is that not only can you represent yourself, but sometimes, attorneys in these situations will take your case on contingency, meaning that they will only take a portion of your case if you win or settle the case with the other party. You may want to work with the GA Lawyer Referral Service to see if you can find a personal injury attorney to help you out with this situation. Did you have any other questions for me at all?

Where can I obtain information on how to file on this case myself?

That's a good question. If you click here, you can see some information on how to file a civil case in Georgia. It has a step by step process to be able to help you out.

Thank you so much for that information...my last question is: do I file against the driver of the company truck who hit me or the company that he works for?
You're welcome. You may want to file against both, but your main target should be the company:). Did you need anything else?
No I'm done for now...
Ok thanks so much. Would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service today? Five stars are always appreciated but never required.
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
No comment!!!
Hello, I sincerely ***** ***** patience with this question. I unexpectedly and surprisingly had to leave town on short notice for a person matter. However, you are still my number one priority. This means that I won't be able to engage in a conversation with you today, but does mean that I will be able to get back on tomorrow and you will have my full attention. I promise. I take care of my customers and I will take care of you. I appreciate your patience and apologized tremendously for the inconvenience. I will be sure to work with you soon.
Legal Eagle, Lawyer