I have a civil judgment against me in the Los Angeles

Customer Question
I have a civil...

I have a civil judgment against me in the Los Angeles Superior Court that was entered in 2012 as the result of a CA Labor Commission action.
I recently was contacted by Hemmings and Associates claiming they were assigned the judgment.
They provided me with an, “Acknowledgment of Assignment of Judgment” that does not have any court stamps on it. (In other words, I am not sure if it is a valid document that was filed with the Court.) (See attached document.)
They also provided me with another form (DLSE 545) “Request that clerk enter judgment” that lists $1,981.07 as the “Total Amount of Judgment.” (See attached document.)
Their cover letter states that the balance today is $3,097.85 with CA statutory judgment interest added to the total. (See attached document.)
The Superior Court Online Services as of today noted the following:
Case Summary
Case Number: 12K00679
VEDOY, JAZMINE CUEVAS VS FENTON, DREW
Court: Stanley Mosk Courthouse
Filing Date: 02/15/2012
Case Type: ENFORCEMENT OF JUDGMENT - OTHER (Limited Jurisdiction)
Status: Disposed
Future HearingsNone
History InformationParties
Plaintiff: VEDOY JAZMINE CUEVAS
Defendant: FENTON DREW DBA PACIFIC METROPOLITAN MEDICAL
Attorney for Plaintiff: LABOR COMMISSSIONER STATE OF CA
Attorney: PLAIN
Party InformationHistories (Dates listed in descending order)
02/17/2012 CLERK'S NOTICE OF ENTRY OF JUDGMENT FILED AND MAILED
02/15/2012 REQUEST THAT CLERK ENTER JUDGMT ON AWARD OF THE LABOR COMM. FILED
02/15/2012 FEES DEFERRED PENDING JUDGMENT PER GC 6103-CASE FILING FEE.
02/15/2012 LABOR COMMISSION JUDGMENT
Case Information

Party Information

History InformationThere were no other documents available online.
I have the following questions:
1) To whom should I pay the judgment, and how much do I owe?
2) Can I pay the Court so the Court has a record of payment?

Lawyer's Assistant: You have to pay for your first question. If you sign up for a membership, there is a free trial for questions after that. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, a judgment has been filed against me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just sent you my question, and I would like to attached three documents.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Also, my business, Metropolitan Medical Center, which I owned 100%, want out of business permanently in 2010 due to my health-related retirement. Am I, nonetheless, still personally responsible for paying the judgment?
11/19/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Let me see if I can answer your questions one by one:

1. The judgement should be paid directly to the person that is requesting the payment.

2. You usually do not need to pay the court. Typically, you'll pay the government if it is something like child support, but the court usually does not aid in collection efforts and they let the parties work it out themselves.

Don't forget, you can always settle the debt as well.

Sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

What other questions did you have for me?