I am an elderly woman, recovering from a serious stroke a…

Customer Question
I am an elderly...

I am an elderly woman, recovering from a serious stroke a month ago. I am married to a New Zealand native; he lives next door to me and "plays with my mind like a cat and mouse". He KNOWS I want a divorce for the simple reason of wanting "PEACE OF MIND". This 'marriage' is anything but peaceful. I think he was disappointed I recovered from my stroke; he stood to take/inherit everything and remain in the USA till he died. How can I (most cheaply) get rid of this "freddy-free-loader" before he gives me another stroke? Please advise me, I am listening.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

HE CONTROLS ALL MONEY. HIS SSA AND MINE ALSO. MY SSA IS A BIT OVER $1K A MONTH. his is over $4000.00 a month. HE "GIFTS" ME WITH $100 OR $400 A MONTH OCCASIONALLY. I DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHERE I CAN GET MONEY FOR A LAWYER, UNLESS THEY CAN GET IT FROM HIM.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How SOON can I get this divorce? How SOON can he be DEPORTED BACK TO NEW ZEALAND.??? Where/How can I get funds to pay the attorney fees? He never gives me more than $20, 40, occasionally $100. He takes it all and keeps me broke.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/18/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The best way to do this is to go to a local attorney and get a divorce filed. Even if he is controlling your money the attorney will get that control away from him and will put you back in control over your funds.

You have to get to an attorney and they will take the funds away from him and you would be then able to cut him off. As far as the deportation, that depends on his visa status and if it is temporary then they can cancel his status.

The process is going to take awhile especially if he fights the divorce and disputes division of assets it could take 18 months or longer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.