I'm being investigated for child abuse due to I diabetic…

I'm being investigated for...

I'm being investigated for child abuse due to I diabetic episode as a substitute teacher in ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

School reported to child protective services

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I forgot to take my diabetic meds and yelled repeatedly at a child to go to the office. Is was removed from the assignment and informed that video showed me yelling the student but did not show me touching the child.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I yelled at a student repeatly to get out and go to the office. I hadn't taken my diabetic meds in a couple of days. A couple of days after the incident I found that this type of anger is associated with high blood sugar. I wasn't aware of this before the incident, and would not have taken the job knowing that I could burst into rage like this. A report was sent to child protective services for child abuse. Video did not show me touching the child but I was in his face. I was removed form the assignment and currently awaiting a review. The incident happened last Tuesday. With Wednesday being the day I was removed.

I see what you mean. Well, the child abuse laws are generally there to protect children from physical abuse. In this case, although you yelled at a student, it doesn't seem as if the child suffered any physical harm at all. Of course, your job situation may be in jeopardy for now, but I don't see any criminal actions arising from this. One thing that you may want to bring up is that if you were dealing with a disability, then you may be able to protect yourself from termination. The reason I say this is because if they terminate you despite knowing of this disability, then it is possible that they would be discriminating against you on the basis of your disability which is prohibited under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Regardless, that is something you may want to save in your back pocket.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Thx that makes me feel better. I'm going to submit my resignation as I feel it is in the best interest of the children so this never happens again. I'm thinking that I should state that is due to a diabetic episode and in the best interest of the children for me to resign. Do you agree?

I'm glad you feel better! it's hard for me to say specifically whether resigning is the best option for you. Do you feel like you could prevent this situation in the future?

I can't bare the thought of hurting a child in anyway. I'm taking the max dose of meds now next its insulin and all that follows. I would like to say I can prevent it from happening but I'm not going to take that chance. Thank you for your time.

I can certainly understand. If that is the case, keep in mind that qualified teachers are valuable even outside of a typical school district or private school classroom. You could always tutor people privately or even offer your services to low income kids after school if you would like. However, the ultimate decision is yours.

Also, where are my manners? You said thank you and the pleasure is all mine! There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Of course. Thx again.

Thank you:-)

Legal Eagle, Lawyer