Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am charged with using $50k fraudulently from a school district.

Customer's question: I used $50k in my position with the school district imporperly. I am facing criminal charges. What are my options?

Lawyer's answer: Either make a plea deal with the prosecutor or take chances at trial.

Read full interaction below »

Former supertendent being charged with using my 5 weeks vacation pay signed by the school board to buy into a restaurant

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes this has been going for 3 years and coming to a head in Dec with a trial

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is actually a good friend of mine who I am very concerned for

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly are you asking here, i.e. what is your question?

Being falsely accused of manipulating my 5 weeks vacation and when the school board approved

I am sorry, I am not sure I understand. This is a friend of yours, and he has has been accused of siphoning your money for his benefit. Correct? And if so, what are you asking here?

I am not with the school...just a friend trying to help him.

Okay, so you are writing "first person," but you are writing for your friend.

1) Has he been criminally charged?

2) What are you asking here, i.e. what do you wish to know?

He has been charged...
Don't know if has any options..thx for your help

Well. What do you mean by "options?" Has he had court yet? Does he wish to simply fall unto the mercy of the court, or, try to argue his innocence? Can he pay back the money? How much money was taken?

Trial in 3 weeks..
He has a team of attys
He is accused of manipulating Over 50k
Which he cannot pay back and what worse tries to save the school district and dis not take his vacation that was earned

Thank you. He really only has two options:

1) Make a deal with the prosecutor, or

2) Go to trial and hope to prove his innocence. The prosecutor has to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and this is not always easy to do.

There really are no other options, I am afraid. Should he choose option #1, whatever plea deal is agreed upon is negotiable.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law