Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was recently in a domestic despute. My husband came after

me and when he got...
I was recently in a domestic despute. My husband came after me and when he got up to do it I started video taping from my phone. I was taking our kids and myself to my moms for safety and I said I was calling the police, he, being a former offender called first so I had to spend the night in jail
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: I showed the police my video of him attacking me and they left but then came back 20 mins later and said I need to go to jail anyhow because if I were to go home and he shot me or something happened they could be liable.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thursday night
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Were you charged with anything or just released?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay. Thanks. Are you a MI attourney?

I do not practice in MI but am happy and able to provide you any information, which you may require, so please let me know.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay. I was released on bond yesterday at 4:00pm.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I haven't talked to a lawyer yet because it's the weekend.

Thank you for the reply.So you have a video if him attacking you? Did you have to defend yourself?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm humiliated because people are contacting me "heard it on their scanner, saw it on the arrest app"
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have a video of him attacking me. I had to defend my phone.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I tried uploading it and it's too large

If you were charged, you want to retain a criminal defense attorney to represent you or use the services of the public defender. They will use your testimony and the video, to defend this and the burden is on the State, to prove the charge against you, beyond a reasonable doubt.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I hit the floor. Had some cuts bc my phone has some cracks

You can also try and file a report on him, for the abuse and the video, to show and support him attacking you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay. Do you have an email so I may email you the video?

The site does not allow us to view videos or anything related to the allegations. Your private counsel would need to view this.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay. Any advice on a MI attourney that would be right for handling this?

You need a criminal defense attorney. On Monday, call a few in your county and set up meetings with them. You want to select one you feel comfortable with and has experiences defendant domestic violence charges. You can share with them what happened and allow them to view the video, so they an share with you how they intend to defend this and if they can try and even get the charges dismissed, once they speak with the prosecutor and show this to them.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay. And if they find I'm truthful and have proof that this was a vengeance call on myself from my husband and they arrested the wrong person can I sue them(the county) for doing this? And can my husband have criminal reprocussions for filing a false report?
You can not sue them but your husband could be prosecuted for filing a false report and lying to the police.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay. Thank you.
My pleasure. If you have not already I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
LegalKnowledge, Attorney