I have banked with a particular bank for over 10+ years.

Customer Question
Every single month without fail...
I have banked with a particular bank for over 10+ years. Every single month without fail, I deposit a check at this bank for $4,500.00... For over 12 years, I have traded, sold and collected silver and gold bullion as a hobby---selling at the top of the market, and buying at the low. My bullion collection was worth about $65,000.00, and I finally decided to sell my collection and buy whatever fun things I wanted---and had earned. Over the last three (3) days, I have sent money via domestic wire to a gentleman who has three (3) pieces of expensive electronic and computer equipment I am interested in.... I decided to send a separate wire for each piece of equipment---which I felt established a sort of "electronic receipt"....however. After sending the third wire, "my" bank called me and said they had "..cancelled the wire.." and wanted more information from me. I was asked over the phone, "...where did you get this money..?.." and "..what exactly are you buying..." I was FURIOUS. I asked who was making the inquiry, and the woman replied that it was there "fraud Department". When I asked who in the "fraud department", she replied, "..I can't tell you that.." I told her that I wasn't going to answer her questions as she and/or the bank had no right to either challenge my integrity or ask about what I did with my money. She replied, "..in that case, they wouldn't send the wire..." Question: #1. Were my rights violated #2. Do I have any legal recourse #3. What course of action would you advise.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/18/2017
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.​

Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago

What state do you live and bank in and what was the name of the bank?

Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago

These days banks are very concerned about fraud and protecting their customers. The woman was only acting to protect your interests; she did not mean to disrespect you or antagonize you. There are many people who do not have your disposable income and are unfamiliar with the many ways to spend it.

The bot***** *****ne is that banks are supposed to honor your wire transfer request. You can elect to sue them [more time and money out of your pocket] or talk to a supervisor nicely. I assume that you give this bank a lot of business that you can take elsewhere. A simple talk with a sane person should clarify things.

Here are some links that show that you are not alone with this problem:

https://www.sportsbookreview.com/forum/sportsbooks-industry/876852-wells-fargo-refused-process-my-wire-transfer.html

https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2079603/re-can-the-bank-refuse-to-send-a-wire

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-bank-in-the-U-S-refuse-to-send-an-international-bank-wire

https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2088259/can-we-refuse-to-send-a-wire-transfer

I hope this helps.

Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.