My car was stolen and then it was found and impounded. when…

Customer Question
My car was stolen...

My car was stolen and then it was found and impounded. when I called to find out the fee to retrieve the car I was told it had been picked up. well, I am the legal owner. my signature was forged.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. the car was reported stolen. so they must have went to one of those check cashing place to get tags.....oh and, the car is registered to my father who passed awy.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They also stoled another and hacked my bank account

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

This to me sounds like a classic case of negligence because they let your car go without verifying whether they actually had the proper owner of the vehicle. Negligence simply means that there was a duty that the other party owed and they breached that duty in some way. What is most important is that it is proven that the defendant breached their duty of care because that is what mostly determines whether there is a cause of action. Basically, the question is, “Did the defendant’s actions fall below the standard of care for a reasonable person in a similar situation?” If the answer to that question is yes, then there is negligence and you are entitled to damages. Damages can be difficult to calculate, but if you click here you can use a calculator help you understand. Chances are that whatever it costs to get your car back you could potentially be compensated for.

What other questions did you have for me?

Will you take the case?
Hi I wish that I could, but my plate is a bit full. Have you considered the lawyer referral service for your state?
Would this be a civil case?

Yes, it would be a civil case. If you're looking for an attorney, you will want to look for someone who is involved in civil litigation because they may be the best help for you.