I am in the process of divorce. I provide health insurance…

Customer Question
I am in the...

I am in the process of divorce. I provide health insurance to my husband. In September he was 65. Even though he is now eligible for Medicare coverage he continues to be on my Health Plan which costs me extra $500 each month. Is it mandatory for him to switch his health plan. is it anything i can do to terminate his coverage via my employer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Do you mean divorce papers?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure ...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about the divorce.

Spouses are usually only able to be covered under your insurance through your employer if they are an immediate relative.

Once you have a final divorce decree, you can show that to your employer, and your husband would be taken off of your insurance, as he would no longer be eligible for benefits.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

I do not have a final decree yet. Is anything I can do now to switch my
husband to the Medicare plan?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Yes, he can voluntarily enroll with Medicare, and then you could remove him from the insurance you have through your employer.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!