I currently rent a home I woke up this morning with no heat…

Customer Question
Hello my name is...

Hello my name is Laurie * I currently rent a home I woke up this morning with no heat there has been someone who has come to the property to fix the heating system he stated that what he fixed is temporary and can not guarantee that it will not shut off again and that we will possible wake up again with no heat. I need to know how to get out of the lease agreement my husband and I have experienced multiple problems that have cost my husband loss of work time and we both fell down the back ramp because the deck was not properly taken care of. Please help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Vermont Isle La Motte, Vermont

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I have every email that has gone back and forth with the owner

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I Just want to know how I can get out of the lease. Plus there is no heat in the basement and it's 23 degrees here today which leaves the pipes being able to freeze. I do not think this house was meant for a year round home because the plumbing and heat gentlemen said what they are using as a heat source in not adequate for this home. It's a space heater.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Well the premises is not considered habitable if there is no heat. So, you need to give your Landlord a notice that you are terminating the lelse because you cannot afford to continue to live there with no heat, the basement being without heat and the heat in the living areas not reliable. You also need to state all the issues you have had at the premises.

Your Landlord may not allow you to break the lease and may try to sue you to force you to be liable for the remainder of the lease. If the lawsuit is filed, then you need to respond and tell the Court why you must not be held liable. You may also file a counterclaim for any damages that you have suffered.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.