My boyfriend moved out, his name is on the lease. He

Customer Question
My boyfriend moved out...

My boyfriend moved out, his name is ***** ***** lease. He took,all clothes etc. What can be done so he is not coming over talking things when I'm not home?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, My property manager is aware he moved out

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What can I do?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Unfortunately you can't remove him from the lease. He signed it, and it's a legally binding contract, so you unfortunately cannot simply remove him.

There are however a few landlords that are willing to do this, so if you have a good working relationship with your landlord and they are aware of the situation, you can at least inquire as to whether they'd be willing to adjust the lease, since your ex has left.

Keep in mind that if both your names are ***** ***** lease, he's legally required to help pay rent. If this is something you're interested in, you can consider filing a claim in small claims court and recovering monetary damages for his portion of the rent.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!