Discrimination? My U.S. car insurance will drop MY policy…

Discrimination?My U.S. car insurance will...
Discrimination?My U.S. car insurance will drop MY policy now that I am married to a Canadian citizen unless he gets a valid U.S. driver's license.How can they be allowed to discriminate against me, a U.S. citizen, with a perfect driving record, now that I am married to a Canadian citizen, and why should my spouse have to get a U.S. driver's license simply for their underwriting "guidelines"?There is no law that I'm aware of, that forces them to have this guideline, since other insurance companies allow for Canadian driver's licenses. It is only their underwriting policy that requires a spouse be added to my U.S. policy and that the spouse, regardless of citizenship, have a U.S. driver's license.We did provide them with the DMV history of his perfect Canadian driving record, but they still insist that he get a U.S. driver's license. What if he didn't drive?I feel this falls under discrimination because my spouse does has a valid Canadian driver's license and he legally has the right to drive in the U.S. using his Canadian driver's license and he has Canadian insurance, why should they be allowed to drop MY policy (which implies in Florida that I would no longer own a vehicle, since it is required by law to have insurance...)? I feel that I am being discriminated against and I would like to know if I am correct, and if so, do I have a case against them.Thank you in advance.
11/17/2017
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

I would be interested in seeing the policy. They can say that something is an "underwriting guideline" but I would prefer to see this in writing. Underwriting is their guidelines for providing a policy to a consumer. Who is the Company and do you have a copy of their underwriting guidelines.

Thanks!
This is Geico and I have requested that they send me their underwriting guideline policy in writing already but they have not yet done so. I have asked them verbally over our phone conversations as well as emailed them earlier today prior to writing to you. Unless you mean that you would like to see my existing insurance policy in writing? Please let me know.
Oh, also, in searching for a new insurance company, I found out that AAA also has this same underwriting policy, but State Farm does not.

You can also contact the State Department of Insurance and they can assist when an insurance company is making up their own laws or is not following the law. This is happening in Florida?

You can also file a complaint at the Federal level at https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

Are you able to see the rating scale at the top of the page, 5 stars.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

In addition, I am forced to have 2 separate policies, one policy in Florida, my state of residence, and one policy in Maine. I seem always caught in a catch 22. I must register all my vehicles in the state in which I claim my full-time residence, Florida, since Maine will not allow me to register in that state unless I am a resident of that state. Yet, Geico forces me to have a policy in the state in which I primarily "garage" my vehicle. So, I have my new vehicle here at my house in Florida, and my truck, which I use when I am in Maine/Canada that I leave garaged in the State of Maine (lest I should have to drive it twice/year back and forth for no reason). In addition, I have an RV, which I use at a campground in Maine during the summers. It remains in storage there during the winters.Florida threatened to suspend my driver's license because I did not have Florida insurance on my vehicle. Somehow Geico was able to set it up so that they notified Florida that there was insurance on the policy and that went away but when I tried to switch my policy to State Farm (who allows a Canadian driver's license for my Spouse), they would not set up the policy so that Florida would be notified that I have insurance on my vehicles in Maine.I have been going around in circles for about a month and a half, sometimes 3-4 hours/day on the phone and the stress is terrible...If they cancel my Maine insurance, I have to fly back to Maine to get 2 vehicles (the cost would be ridiculous to drive the RV to Florida and back and then fly a second time to get my truck, since I cannot tow it...so crazy!) It all seems ridiculous and unnecessary.The final complication will be, what happens when I am in Canada for more than 6 months out of the year...I guess I will have to buy ANOTHER vehicle to have it insured in Canada (if they allow it...) Please stop the insanity! Geico will not allow me to have my truck in Canada for more than 3 month/year.Thank you for your help!

Again that depends on the policy requirements. You would contact the Maine Department of Insurance.

You are most welcome. This is the link for Maine https://www1.maine.gov/pfr/insurance/complaint.html

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Are you still online with me?

Very helpful information! Thank you. I didn't even know that there was a State Department of Insurance! LOL! You are great and I love this website. Yes, I will be giving you a 5 star review for sure, but once I do it appears to close my question and I have to start over, so for now, just let me confirm with you whether you want me to upload the Geico insurance policy for my vehicle for you to review (depending if I can cut out my person information...) Was that what you wanted to see (maybe I missed your response to that earlier...) or did you want to see their "underwriting" policy?
You can always return to the question after rating my service. Thank you.

The site charges an additional fees for reviewing documents. You should ask them exactly where in your policy it states that your spouse needs a valid license for you to be insured. If there is no language that states this I would report the company.

OK. Great. Final confirmation, do you feel that I have a case for discrimination if it is not in my policy or would the complaint fall under some other category? Thanks so much and I will follow up with a complain to the State website that you sent me, both for Maine and Florida. Before I do though, I would like to know if I should approach this as discrimination or just a complaint...Thanks! 5 Stars either way! You are wonderful! I am so grateful for this website and recommend it all the time to friends.

You need to find out from the State agency is that is a lawful reason to deny insurance. I look at this more as a legal matter than a discrimination matter. Thank you.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
OK. Great. Thank you again!

You are most welcome.

I reported a bug in the software to Justanswer...when giving you 5 stars, I am prompted with the review and optional tip screen...but when I start typing, about 5 seconds later, the screen changes to confirmation that I have left a 5 star review and I cannot get back to the review/tip screen. You must be missing out on a lot of tips :( and deserve them. This doesn't happen just with you. It happens every time I complete the star rating :(Please send me a link if you know how so that I can review and tip, but also follow up with justanswer to see if they can get that fixed.Thanks!
Thom

That is very disconcerting to hear. Thank you for letting me know.

The Attorneys have no ability to see the customer's side of the screen. I do get emails showing a bonus was paid. Sadly they will only listen to the customer. You would contact them at

US / Canada 1-***-***-****1-***-***-****Available 6am to 9pm PST

1-***-***-****. Sorry for the above format. Thank you.