Jet Blue switched its credit card from American Express to…

Customer Question
Jet Blue switched its...

Jet Blue switched its credit card from American Express to Barclay in March 2016, we double paid our last payment for about $1,500. We have been in dispute with Barclay's since then, they don't respond to specifics and now what to file a complaint against us. Our credit rating was in the 800's now down to 600. What are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

At the time we ivied in New York, we now live in FL. Began 3/16

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

It is not a manufacturer it is a credit card company. Have I contacted them, yes the file is 1 1/2" thick. Further I have contacted Trans Union

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Just to clarify, you're trying to get them to reimburse your credit card payment that you paid twice? Is there anything else in dispute?

Why has your credit score decreased? What else has happened?

when the account was transferred to Barclay, American Express had already reimbursed me.
The only reason the credit score decreased is because Barclay says we owe them the duplicate payment, plus interest and late fees.

That doesn't make any sense. They buy the account as-is, with the existing balance and payments. They don't have any authority to change agreements you made with the prior company.

What happened when you contacted TransUnion?

Sorry, getting ready for a luncheon, will get back to you mid afternoon

Thank you for letting me know. I'm unfortunately not going to be around this afternoon - or for a few days after. I'll opt out and let another expert assist you. Good luck.

Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor left.

You need to file a written dispute of the debt with ALL of the credit bureaus and a copy to Barclay as well stating that pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act you are disputing the debt and subsequent credit reporting as invalid and you are attaching proof of payment of the debt to the letter. Tell them that pursuant to the FCRA if they do not correct this within 30 days you will pursue a legal action for damages under the FCRA including attorney's fees as provided under the act AND you will file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for them falsely reporting an invalid debt.

From that point, and I know you have contacted them several times already but you need to make the FCRA demand specifically to them, if they refuse to fix the matter, get a local consumer attorney and file suit for all of your damages plus attorney's fees against them in US District Court in FL and file the complaint with the FTC as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney