I have surgery the same day I have court. How can I get this…

Customer Question
I have surgery the...

I have surgery the same day I have court. How can I get this changed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Oklahoma.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

My ex has filed for a contempt of court for non payment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I get the date changed if I'm representing myself?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

You'll need to let the judge know beforehand and ask in advance that the court date be changed.

In order to do so, you'll need to go in to the courthouse, and either go to the self-help desk or the clerk's office and let them know you'd like to request the date to be changed and they can help you get a court date set up to request that the judge change the date of the hearing.

When you do go before the judge, make sure to bring some official documentation from your doctor or the hospital, showing the date of the scheduled procedure.

The judge should have no problem rescheduling the hearing.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

I love 8 hours from where the courthouse is located. I was informed of this court date about a week ago. When I called the courthouse they told me I needed a lawyer to request the date to be changed, but if I have your right to represent myself, how can I take care of this?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

A lawyer would do something similar to what I described above, they'd request a court date and file a (brief) motion explaining your upcoming surgery and asking for the hearing to be rescheduled.

Some judges wouldn't even require a written motion though, but would entertain a verbal request when it comes to scheduling. It depends on the judge, and what their usual courtroom procedure is.

I'm not sure why the individual on the phone was not inclined to help you, but they are right in that this is not something that can be done remotely. You'll need to have this taken before the judge in order to have the postponement and rescheduling of the hearing done.

You could consider hiring a local attorney in the jurisdiction where your case is being heard, even if it's just in a limited scope to present this motion on your behalf, and get a new court date.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!