If I hire a day laborer to do some landscaping and he

Customer Question
If I hire a...

If I hire a day laborer to do some landscaping and he injures himself, what is my liability?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, no one has been hired yet to do the work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The day laborers may or may not be US citizens. Travis County is a sanctuary county.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

It is not really any different than an injury on your property to anyone else who is lawfully on your property. If they can prove the injury was due to your negligence then you could be liable for the damages. Otherwise, without proof of your negligence, you would not be liable for the injury.

Presumably, if you were sued over this your homeowner's insurance would tender your defense and cover any claim.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

The landscape work would not be done on my property, but for a property manager on a separate property.
Then you have no personal liability.
Sorry, I haven't been clear. I am an Engineer hired by a property manager to construct a berm on one of his properties for the purpose of flood control. If someone I hire to help with labor on this job, and who I pay hurts himself, am I liable? I usually find day laborers who hang out at a local "Home Depot". I never check their legal citizenship status, and this is a sanctuary county. Does that make a difference as to liability?

You can not be liable unless you are proven negligent. Merely hiring a day laborer as an independent contractor does not make you liable.
You are not required to check the status of a day laborer.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!