My son is underage and was served alcohol while at work by…

Customer Question
My son is underage...

My son is underage and was served alcohol while at work by his coworkers. He was fired and none of those serving him had any consequences. Is this legal? Is there anything I can do to bring attention to those that provided the alcohol?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it. There is a history of alcohol issues at this company including the fact the the CEO has two DUIs.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If son wasn't under any written fixed term employment contract, then unfortunately, he would be considered an at will employee and he could quit, or the employer could fire, at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all.

.

What happened was both parties engaged in illegal activity... the coworkers for serving him and him for drinking as a minor.

.

While what the employer did was inequitable and unfair, it was not illegal. Wrongful termination only comes into play if you were terminated for being part of a protected class (gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national origin).

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

No problem! I don't have a problem that he was fired but I wish there were legal action I could take against either those providing alchol or the company for creating this environment to prevent this situation from happening again. Thank you!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney