If a person names me as the beneficiary to a 3.5 million…

Customer Question
If a person names...

If a person names me as the beneficiary to a 3.5 million dollar inheritance but the bank is in Dubai (Persian Gulf) what do I legally do to protect my self. What must legally happen by America law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

An emailed document from a bank called Rakfinacial.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I’m not happy at all with being named the beneficiary. I don’t know this bank. I don’t know this person naming me as beneficiary well enough for this responsibility. It doesn’t feel right. I need advice

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient while I type you a reply.

If you don't know this person and this all doesn't seem right to you, this sounds like you are a victim of a very popular scam.

This fraud is called the "same surname inheritance scam." It is one of the very oldest of the advance fee frauds, invented generations ago by the Nigerians and even more effective today in the age of the internet.

You would never hear about an inheritance from an email. And you wouldn't hear from a bank. Banks don't have an active role in the distribution of inheritances. You'd get a certified or registered letter from the executor of the estate.

Any unsolicited too-good-to-be-true message from someone you have never heard of is an almost certain scam.

This scam is really just a way of phishing for your personal identifying information, for future identity theft, and as much of your money as you are going to be willing to turn over to collect a non-existent legacy.

Scammers make countless phone calls and send thousands of emails and friend requests out every day in the hope that they find someone who believes he may actually have a dead wealthy relative somewhere and who will take the bait.

If you receive such a message and follow it up you will be told that the money is yours but that you will first have to wire your own money abroad for one reason or another to collect your inheritance.

That advance fee is the #1 sign of an inheritance fraud. The scammer will take your money, but the inheritance will never come because the inheritance is not real in the first place. They will just keep finding reasons to ask you for more money, as you may have already begun to see for yourself.

Heirs never have to pay a cent out of pocket to receive a legitimate bequest. The estate pays its own expenses during the course of the estate being probated and only after all obligations are met and paid for is the remaining money distributed to the heirs with no strings attached. You'd get a check in the mail, nice and simple. No strange hoops to jump through.

You can read the history of this fraud here on Snopes.com

If this sounds familiar, ignore and block the scammers. Send no money. There's no inheritance. There are only thieves looking to part you from your money. Report the fraud to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.