My stepson is a drug user...we have no idea where he is. His…

Customer Question
My stepson is a...

My stepson is a drug user...we have no idea where he is. His car has been sitting in our driveway for over 2 years. My husband's name was on the loan, and we have since paid it off. However, the title is in my stepson's name. We have no idea where he is, so there is no way to get the title transferred. Can we call the local police and have the car towed since it has been abandoned?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Ohio...2011...I called the Title Bureau and they said there is nothing we can do with the title.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No...like what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We just want the car gone. We have already paid $11,000 to pay it off, so my husband's credit wouldn't be affected. Because of the situation, the car is a constant reminder of the drug use and likely death because of it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Do you have keys or a way into the car so you could move it?

.

.

thanks

Ok, then what I would suggest is to move it out to the nearest public street and park it. Then call the police anonymously and state that it looks like a car has been abandoned there as it hasn't moved in several days. They will come out and tag it and if it hasn't been moved in 48 hours, they will normally tow it from the street at the owner's expense..

.

.

thanks

Would anything come back on my husband because he was on the loan? We did pay the loan off, and the title is in my stpson’s name.

No, if he was just a cosigner or guarantor, but not on the title, then he is clear. It is the title owner who is the legal owner of the car, not the cosigner.

.

.

thanks

Would we be able to call the local police and have it towed off our property, since it has been abandoned without our permission?

No, they won't tow items off public property.. It has to be on a public street to be considered abandoned. You would have to go through a formal eviction action of stepson through the courts, get a judgement against him, then get a writ and have the sheriff show up to execute the writ. Then you could have it towed away..

.

Much easier to just move to public street and call in a complaint..

Barrister, Attorney