I rented a home in sept signed lease paid 5150. To landlord…

Customer Question
Hello I rented a...

Hello I rented a home in sept signed lease paid 5150. To landlord I have not moved in as of yet home has not been renovated as promised and landlord does not answer calls or text messages I want my money back how can I go about this it’s been almost 2 months

Lawyer's Assistant: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.

Who are they

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Plainfield New Jersey I’m just afraid that he took off with my money

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I went to police station and court house they said I should file a small claims

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract because the landlord failed to keep their promises which entitles you to damages and to avoid having to perform the agreement, genreally. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

What other questions did you have for me today?