Me and my husband entered into a rent to buy agreement with…

Customer Question
Me and my husband...

Me and my husband entered into a rent to buy agreement with our landlord we have paid 200.00 a month extra a month for 14 years and now we cant agree on the price so the landlord says if we don't sign the papers to buy the house our money will be forfeited that's like 25.000

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I have the original lease from 14 years ago and it states that we would be giving him the extra 200.00 toward buying the house and then every time we ask him he would always say he had to check this house is valued at 80.000 at most and he wants us to pay 125.000 or forfeit 30000

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. This appears to be a classic breach of contract if he offered to sell the house on the condition that you pay $200. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. You may be able to sue for specific performance to force a sale of the house.

This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

What other questions did you have for me?