Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Well,,, let me run this past you,,, i cosigned a loan for

the x-wifes daughters car,,, under...
Well,,, let me run this past you,,, i cosigned a loan for the x-wifes daughters car,,, under the verbal agreement that it would be refiananced and my name off of it within 6 months,,,, well,, three yrs later it still has my name on it ,,, she let the insurance cancel,,, the car was stolen and she never filed a case with the police ,,, due to an active warrant,,,,, and quit making the payments,,, soooo i guess my real question is ,,,, what are my legal options? It has already killed my credit ,,, and im pretty sure somebody is gonna sue ,,,,
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Tx
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Too?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/17/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract if she agreed to get your name off the lease, but failed to do so and you suffered damages as a result. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach which would include the $ that you may be required to pay There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

What other questions did you have for me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if the fianance co sues me,,, i can turn around and sue her,,, sounds like alot of sueing,,,

It does. It's why I recommended the informal breach of contract letters because it can be tiring to go through litigation. However, keep the lawsuit option in your back pocket. What other questions did you have for me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thats it ,,, thank you

The pleasure is all mine! There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer