I am not in a physically abusive relationship, however, my…

Customer Question
Hi.. i am not...

Hi.. i am not in a physically abusive relationship, however, my husband abuses his prescribed medicines for many years now, and behaves erratically. i am concerned for myself and my children. he works for microsoft and makes all the money. i am a homemaker. and now feel threatened and without resource. what are my legal options for support? if i leave him, will i lose my children since i don't have a job?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? Have any charges been officially filed?

No charges wa state

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He did get a DUI in Oct and has a suspended license no.. i don't know how to get a lawyer without him tracking me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If i invoke a seperation, will he still have to be financially responsible for me and the children?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. Generally, you may want to consider a few options to help keep you and yourself safe:

1. You may want to file for a temporary restraining order. A TRO is granted by the court and if you request one, then the court will force him to stay away from you for as little as 30 days or for as long as five years

2. You could also sue for divorce. If a person earns money and their spouse doesn't, then the law requires that the earning partner pay child and spousal support. The court will consider how much they make, the assets, your assets, the debts, the number of children, and your earning capacity generally; however, it is something that you could ask for.

3. You can also ask for child support before getting divorce as well so you may be able to move out and take care of the kids at the same time. You'd have to go to court, but it's a possibility.

What other questions did you have for me?