What is the law in tx.virsus mich..law on marriage (like if…

What is the law...

What is the law in tx.virsus mich..law on marriage (like if one got sick and di.dnt have money to pay the bills would the other one have to use their savings ,which would leave them depleted savings.??? and what oyher laws i wouldnt be aware of,I would appreciate any help or pointers you could provide

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas but im from mi. so am not fermiler with the law here,where could i get that kind of info>

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Mostly i want to know what i can be liable for if i marry and what i need to protect myself . and my estate that ive worked al my life to accummilate,i want my family to get what their father earned etc.

11/16/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you for your question;

in TX, a spouse can be sued by third parties for the necessities of life; that is codified below:

Sec. 2.501. DUTY TO SUPPORT. (a) Each spouse has the duty to support the other spouse.

(b) A spouse who fails to discharge the duty of support is liable to any person who provides necessaries to the spouse to whom support is owed.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.2.htm

MI has a comparable law at 557.209 located below:

ife and family and to discharge all debts contracted by the wife for necessaries for herself and family during marriage: Provided, however, That if and whenever there is community property available for such purpose the husband shall be entitled to resort first to such community property. (j) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prevent the wife or the husband from mortgaging, pledging, or otherwise encumbering her, his, or their separate property or to prevent the wife and the husband from joining in a mortgage, pledge, or other encumbrance of community property as security for any indebtedness whether of the wife or of the husband or both

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-chap557.pdf

Often times if the parties have children from another relationship they will enter into a prenuptial agreement to protect separate assets to the extent legally possible.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer