I have a question about federal restitution and how they…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a question about federal restitution and how long they will seek it?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Austin texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

This happened 17years ago. It is coming back to haunt me know because I applied for a federal home loan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have federal restitution that was ordered in 2001. I have recently applied for a VA home loan and was denied because of this lein. How long will this follow me. I was charged and convicted off a federal Misprision

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 5 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Unfortunately, restitution ordered in a federal criminal case does not have a point at which it is no longer collectable, unlike judgments in a state civil case. 18 U.S.C. § 3663, authorizes the federal district court to impose restitution on the defendant as part of the sentence for the offense. That section, however, makes no reference to a time limit, nor does 18 U.S.C. § 3664, which provides the rules for enforcement of the restitution order.

Some US attorneys have it calendared to check assets every few years, some just do it when they think about it, others have an assistant in their office who does nothing but look for assets and try to collect restitution. The likelihood of them never looking at it again are very, very low though since everything is computerized now and what used to take hours now takes minutes.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney