If a business owner knows his employees are using and

Customer Question
If a business owner...

If a business owner knows his employees are using and selling illegal drugs on his property and doesnt report it to the authorities can he be held liable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A business owner would not be liable for an employee selling illegal drugs on his property per se. There is no legal duty to report o the authorities. HOWEVER, if the authorities catch them selling on the employer's premises AND they can show the employer is involved, then they could try to make the employer an accomplice.

Legally though, there is no duty to report to authorities, but the employer should not want this on their property as it is a liability if someone is injured and the employer would want to consider terminating the employee.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.