I have a medical bill from 11/21/2014 that I feel I am

Customer Question
I have a medical...

I have a medical bill from 11/21/2014 that I feel I am wrongfully being billed for. I have first received the invoice 12/07/2015.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have many notes regarding this matter. The bill is for $3500.00, my insurance company was billed for $1500.00 and the date of billing was fictitious. The physician failed to provide enough detail and when the claim was denied for lack of detail he sat on it for another year. Too many details I suppose for this initial purpose.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

thank you

Great, thanks, ***** ***** moment...

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this situation. It seems like there is a cause of action that you may have against this debt collection company. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at section 1692e, it is unlawful for a debt collector to say that you owe a balance when you do not. If your insurance already paid or if the medical office is putting fictitious dates on the bills, then this is a violation of the FDCPA.

In the future, you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter (click here) for all collection attempts under the FDCPA. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If they continue, then you should file a complaint with the FTC regarding their action.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Thank you, ***** ***** helpful.

The pleasure is all mine! There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!