My husband's mother passed away in 2013. His brother (whom…

Customer Question
My husband's mother passed...

My husband's mother passed away in 2013. His brother (whom he does not have a good relationship with) was appointed Trustee of the Trust she set up for her kids. We never received a copy of the Will or Trust and kept on asking for it... He was very reluctant to give it up. There was an Amendment attached that indicated she has a "Journal" which will be kept with her important papers. This Journal will have a record of all gifts and loans I have given my children throughout my life. Loans with a balance after my death will be deducted from their part of the inheritance. We asked about the Journal and the Trustee is telling us he has never seen it. The Journal was written in 2010 and she passed away in 2013. She was a very organized woman, what should we do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

He gave us a copy of the will and trust after over 2 years of asking for it! My husband is named in the Will/Trust.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Trust also indicates that each child is suppose to receive an annual/if not more often itemized expense/transaction register for the Trust that we have NEVER received.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. If you believe that the money distributed is not being proper due to the Journal's entries, and the Journal would prove that, someone in your situation has the right to file a pleading in the probate court to force the Trustee to locate the Journal and provide it to the Court for review - and adjust the payouts accordingly.

The problem is that if he says he does not know where it is, it is hard to prove otherwise. How do you prove that he has something if you do not have any proof he does?

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.